Tuesday 24 April 2012

Leaving Certificate Applied, Exam Tips.

Leaving Certificate Applied.
English and Communications.

Your exam lasts 2 hours.
Always underline exactly what you are being asked in every question.

Part one: Audio Visual. (40 Marks) (30 Mins.)
-Read all the questions.
-Watch the entire clip.
-The clip will then be shown in two clips.
-After each clip you will have time to write the answers into your booklet.
-You will then be shown the entire clip again.
-You will then have time to review your answers and add more to your answers.
-Write as much as you can, try to fill every line.
-Watch the clip carefully.
-Use all the time you have been allocated.
-Read the questions carefully before you answer them.
-Read over your answers.

Part two: Written.
Section 1: (30 Marks) (20 Mins.)
-You have a choice of two questions here.
-Read both comprehensions and the questions that follow them.
-Answer on the one you understand the best.
-Read the comprehension again, then read the questions, then read the comprehension again.
-Use lines from the text to back up all the points you make.
-Fill all the lines!
-Read over your answers.

Section 2: (30 Marks) (20 Mins.)
-You have a choice of two questions here.
-Answer the question about your mini-company.
-Read the questions carefully.
-Write as much as you can.
-Fill all the lines!
-Read over your answers.
Section 3 (30 Marks) (20 Mins.)
-You have a choice of two questions here.
-Read through both questions and decide on which one you can answer best.
-Read the questions carefully again and write as much as you can. Fill all the lines!!
-Read over your answers.

Section 4 (30 Marks) (20 Mins.)
-You have a choice of three questions here.
-Read through all questions and decide on which one you can answer best.
-Read the questions again and answer them writing as much as you can. Fill all the lines!
-Read over your answers.

Read over all your answers.
Fill all the lines!!

Pre-Exam Check List:
1. Do I Know how to write a:
-Report £
-Review £
-A C.V. £
-Formal letter £
-An Informal letter £
-A newspaper/magazine article £
-An Advertisement £
-A Speech £
-A text of advice, e.g. advice to 5th year students about preparing for your work experience  £

2. Do I know my two short-stories? (“The Sniper” by Liam O Flaherty and “The First Confession” by Frank O’ Connor) £
3. Do I know my Play (“Juno and |The Paycock” by Sean O Casey)? £
4. Do I know my novel (Lies of Silence by Brian Moore)?£
5. Can I write about an music artist and his music; (Ed Sheeran, “Lego House”, “The “A” Team” and “Small Bump”) ? £
6. Can I write about a poet and his poetry? (Seamus Heaney; “Blackberry Picking” and “Mid-Term Break”? £
7. Do I know all about the mini-company£ ?
8. Do I know about my position in the mini-company£?
9. Do I know how to set up my own business, i.e the steps involved? £
10. Can I describe any problems that arose when we were carrying out our mini-company and how we solved them? £
11. Can I describe how we carried out our market research? £
12. Can Describe how our logo and slogan and how we advertised our products? £
13. Do I know about newspapers, Tabloid and Broadsheets? £
14. Do I know about television, mobile phones and radio? £
15. Do I know good telephone techniques? £
16. Do I know good interview techniques? £
17. Do I know about communication techniques and skills? £
18. Can I give advice about preparing for and interview or work experience? £
19. Can I write about my work experience placements? £
20. Can I write about a film I studied? (Casablanca) £
21. Can I describe different camera angles? £
22. Can I write about Advertisements? £


Remember; write as much as you can!
Show the Examiner all that you know!
Do not leave the exam early.
Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment